The Government of India has made it mandatory to link your Permanent Account Number (PAN) with your Aadhaar card under Section 234H, introduced in March 2021 as part of the Finance Bill 2021. The last date for linking PAN with Aadhaar has been extended to 30 June 2021 from the earlier deadline of 31 March 2021.
What happens if PAN and Aadhaar are not linked?
In case the PAN and Aadhar card are not linked by the due date, the PAN will become ‘inoperative’ from 1 July 2021 and you would have to shell out a late fee of up to ₹1,000 to make it operative.
Let us understand the meaning and consequences of having an inoperative PAN or an invalid PAN. This simply means that you do not have a PAN. In such a scenario, you will not be able to file income tax with an invalid PAN. You will also not be able to carry out other financial transactions for which you require your PAN, such as opening a bank account or receiving government benefits like scholarships.
PAN Card is a mandatory document that college students need to produce when applying for savings bank account (NuCash student account), instant loans, or credit card at NUCash.money.
Also Read: Neobanks for students: The benefits
How to check if Aadhaar and PAN are linked
In case you want to make sure that your Aadhaar card and PAN are linked, you can put your doubts to rest by checking the status online.
For this, visit the income tax department page HERE .
- Next, enter your Aadhaar number and PAN and click on the option ‘View Link Aadhaar Status’.
- Your PAN-Aadhaar link status will be displayed on the screen.
How to Link PAN with Aadhaar Card Online
If you have not linked your PAN with your Aadhaar card till now, you can do it online on the Income Tax website. Here are the steps to do so.
- Visit the Income Tax e-Filing website and click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ tab under the Quick Links panel.
- On the next page, enter the required details. After entering the captcha code, click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ button.
- A message will appear on the screen informing you about the successful linking.
Also Read: What Is Credit Score And How To Check It
How to Link PAN with Aadhaar Card through SMS
For the convenience of the people, the government has made available various methods to link 10-digit PAN and Aadhaar which is a 12-digit unique identification number given to the residents of India. So, another method is through SMS on your mobile device. Here are the steps to do so.
- Type your message in the following pattern:
UIDPAN(space)12 Digit Aadhaar(space) 10 Digit PAN
- From your registered mobile number, SMS the message to either 567678 or 56161.
Are you Unable to Link Aadhaar with PAN?
In spite of following the correct procedure to link PAN and Aadhaar, it might happen that you are unable to do so. This might be happening because of a spelling mismatch in your name in the two documents. In such a scenario, you need to make sure the spelling of your name is the same in both places.
- To correct the spelling of your name in the Aadhaar card online, visit an Aadhaar Enrolment Centre with a self-attested copy of your proof of identity.
-Fill in the enrolment form and submit it along with the document.
-The acknowledgment receipt you receive will help you find the status of the update. Once it is done, you can link Aadhar with PAN.
- To correct the spelling of your name in PAN online, visit the National Securities Depository Limited website www.tin-nsdl.com.
-Under the Services tab, click on ‘PAN’. On the new page, click on Apply under the option ‘Correction in Existing PAN’.
-Next, choose category type. Upload the documents with the correct name and right spelling to be attached.
-Click on ‘Submit’ and pay the requisite fee.
-An updated PAN card will be delivered to the registered address in 45 days from the day of submitting the application.
What are the Benefits of Linking PAN with Aadhaar?
The linking of PAN card with Aadhaar card will be a big win for the government and the people. Let us take a look at some of the benefits.
- It will check the problem of multiple PAN cards of the same name which will help the government to track tax evasion.
- You can open your bank account digitally without having to visit the branch.
- While opening a trading account, e-KYC can be managed online.
- Your tax returns filing can be easily authenticated, as the physical or digital signature will not be needed.
Q. Is the linking of PAN with Aadhaar compulsory for everyone?
No, certain groups are exempt from linking PAN and Aadhaar. They are:
- Non-residents as per the Income-Tax Act, 1961
- Those residing in Assam, Jammu and Kashmir and Meghalaya.
- Those who are 80 years of age or more at any time during the previous year.
- Those living in India but are not citizens of India.
Q. Is it compulsory to link PAN and Aadhaar card for non-taxpayers?
Yes, linking of PAN with Aadhaar is compulsory even for non-taxpayers. This will help in doing away with multiple PANs and Aadhaar cards of the same name.
Q. Should college students also link their PAN card with Aadhaar card?
Yes, it is compulsory for everyone, even for college students, else the PAN will become invalid.
Q. Can PAN-Aadhaar link be done offline?
Yes, PAN-Aadhaar link can be done offline by visiting the PAN Service Provider and filling the form to link the two documents. You need to submit the necessary documents along with the form.
Q. What details should I check during the PAN-Aadhaar link?
Your name, date of birth, and gender appearing on the income tax website should match with the details on your Aadhaar card.
Q. When linking PAN with Aadhaar online, will I need the option Request OTP as well?
When linking PAN with Aadhaar online, the Request OTP option can be used for visually challenged users, it is not for everyone.
Also Read: All about Privatization of Banks in India